Thursday, January 26, 2012

I need to get back in the habit of posting here....

I have taken such a long hiatus from here that I have really gotten out of the habit of posting anything. I would like to try and post more.
We have all heard that before.
Let's see if this is the magic 100th try!
Wyatt was up last night from 2am until 6am, then slept until 7am when he woke up as his daddy slammed the door on his way to work (our door is swollen and doesn't shut unless you slam it). I gave up on getting sleep at that point and got up for the day.
I tried napping today, which has never been a problem for me in the past, and was unable to do so. I don't know what is happening to me.
Although, I know this isn't a permanent change because I am still maintaining my normal lack-of-sleep side effects. I am ridiculously grumpy and very irritable. Like there is laundry sitting on the dryer right now that I folded and put in the hamper yesterday and I am irritated that Sparky didn't read my mind and put it away for me. Which is ridiculous because he would never even think to put away clean clothes. He would rather all of his clean clothes live in the clothes hamper where he can see everything and toss the dirty clothes on the floor where they cannot taint the clean stuff.
I went way off topic there.
Poor Wyatt has a staff infection from the hospital that didn't go away on its own so his pediatrician decided to put him on an antibiotic to get rid of it once and for all. Well, this killed all the pro-biotics in his little baby tummy and has turned his poo into acidic toxic sludge. The acidity burns away the flesh on his little baby bum. The poor guy will poo a bit and then scream bloody murder.
Lucky for me, my friend's child had this same thing happen so she was able to give me an odd and complex routine to add to his regular diaper change to try and protect his skin.
In case it helps anyone else, here it is:
-Rinse out the baby wipe in water so the perfumes don't burn the baby's sore skin (even though they say they are fragrance free)
-Clean bum
-dab Maalox onto the sore bum (the Maalox apparently changes the acidity level on the bum)
-dry with a hairdryer
-apply lotramin (to kill yeast growing in his belly)
-apply Vaseline liberally (to create a barrier between acid poo and his skin)

The rash is not cleared up, but at least he does not scream as horribly when he poos. Poor baby.

2 comments:

Miss Homola said...

I am glad that I am not alone! Mike does the same thing with his clothes, although he would just rather leave the clean ones littered around the laundry room. The dirty ones are still all over the floor on his side of the bed! I have taken to calling it man mountain!

Sarah said...

Sarah!! So excited that you are officially a mama now! Hope you are enjoying your new family. I can totally relate to living in sleep deprived mode. We brought home a surprise newborn in November. We had a similar heine problem... We rinsed his bottom under water with every diaper change, then did the blow drying routine and finished off with some good old fashioned corn starch. He went from bleeding and raw to totally healed within 48 hours!! My next plan of attack was the Maalox routine. Isn't it fun to play baby spa at 3am?!? Ahh...the stuff they DON'T tell you about parenting!
Oh and...the laundry situation must be part of their chromosomal make-up...