Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Balanced Challenge: Day 2

Today is day two (for me) of the Balanced Challenge by Tricia Goyer. Today's questions are:
What can you do or change to make working from home actually work for you? Creating an office space? Cleaning up that office space? Looking into finding a babysitter for a few hours a day? Take the first steps in making the change, then take a photo of your progress and post it on your blog.
Well, this is a little awkward. I don't actually work from home. I decided to read the book and participate in the challenge anyway because I feel nearly everything still applies to me as a mom who works outside the home. After all, I still have work that I do at home. I teach full day kindergarten in a public school. I plan lessons and research more effective ways to teach and impact the little lives I am in charge of teaching. 
I have an office space, but it is currently more like a dumping ground. It is so bad that I actually put a baby gate up so Wyatt cannot get in there and knock all my piles over. ::blush::
I currently have my laptop set up in the living room so I can research teaching methods in between playing with and taking care of Wyatt. 
My eventual plan is to move my office space to a nook off of our kitchen. To do that I need to move the furniture out of that room to the basement. But before I can move the furniture to the basement I need to clean up the basement and paint the basement floor (or at least throw down some carpet scraps). 
I feel a little bit like "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." 
I am currently in Florida and not remotely close to my office so I cannot add any photos today. I will have to come back and update later!

The biggest challenge I have is finding enough energy at the end of the long school day to play with Wyatt, clean the house, cook dinner, etc. before I fall asleep! 
I have been trying to use the FlyLady system for years, but never seem to do all of her little jobs each day. I also got the Clean Enough ebook in a book bundle a while ago. And yesterday checking everyone else's answers to today's challenge I found Amy at Gospel Homemaking and her To-Do lists. 
I had tried in the past to take FlyLady's ideas and put them into a daily or weekly rotating to-do list, but I got bogged down with the list changing every week and month.  Amy has basically done this for me! All I have to do is go to her website and print off the weekly to-do list and I am ready to go. I am going to try this when I get home to see if it is more effective for me. 

To keep up with dinner I subscribe to eMeals. They email me a menu each week along with the shopping list for feeding four people 7 dinners. There are always leftovers for me to take to school for lunch the following day so basically I just need to add breakfast and snack items to the list emailed to me weekly and my shopping is done! Unfortunately, we have fallen a bit off the wagon and have just been eating out lately because it is easier. But really, this isn't difficult. I just need to go to the store and do it. 

Get Balanced!
Tricia Goyer Balanced
This post is part of the Balanced challenge with Tricia Goyer—and you can join, too!

No comments: