Sunday, August 8, 2010

Adoption Books

I mentioned before that Sparky's mom bought us our first adoption picture book:
I would also, eventually, like to get these: 
I Wished for You, an adorable story about Barley Bear and his adoption. 
A Mother for Choco, written by a local author about a lonely bird looking for a mother.
My Family, My Journey- a memory book for adopted children.


I have also been a reading fanatic, reading all sorts of adoption books for adults. So far I have read:
I liked the Complete Adoption book better than The Idiot's Guide to Adoption because I felt like it answered more of my questions deeper. The Idiot's Guide is really for people who are tossing around the idea of adoption and want to know more about it. Once you KNOW you are going to adopt and you need more information regarding the different options, The Complete Adoption Book is a much better source for information.
Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew is a great book. I highly recommend everyone read it who is going to have adoptive children in their care (i.e. adoptive parents, grandparents, aunts, caregivers). It is primarily about how adopted children have experienced trauma by not having their birth mothers in their lives. Infants demonstrate this loss in several ways. Older children display this loss differently. It talks about how to address these needs and how to help the adopted child adjust and accept their feelings.
I have borrowed this from the library and plan on reading it next:
And I would like to read these:

No comments: