Monday, May 10, 2010

You might be wondering why I am posting in the middle of the day, Why aren't you at work, Sarah?

Well... Over the weekend Gaby began losing control of his bladder. (Either that or he is just being a pain in the ass. I am betting on the former.) I went online and purchased some doggie diapers so I can stop cleaning the carpet every five minutes. Of course I opted for the free shipping which takes 5-9 business days and I needed something NOW.
So I looked around and found out that disposable doggie diapers are expensive! They cost $11.97 for a pack of 12. That is about a dollar per diaper. I would rather pin a dollar around his groin than pay for those. So I went to Target and got their baby diapers on sale for $6 for like 32 diapers. Much better. I cut a little hole for his tail and strapped the bad boy on. He really didn't seem to mind it. Except his little bit was just outside of the diaper's reach. Ugh.
Back to Target I went. I bought the next two sizes up, just to be on the safe side. I try the largest size on him. They fit! As long as he doesn't move. When he moves, his little bits pop out of the top again.
So I had to get creative and turn the thing sideways. It isn't pretty, but it works.

So this morning I wake up and get dressed, like always. Then I pick up Gaby and take him downstairs to go potty. I put him down on the floor and he fell over. He couldn't hold up his back half. His front legs seem to be just fine, but his little back legs tremble and give out.
I tried getting him to walk toward me and it was the most pathetic, tear inducing, event I have ever seen. He wanted to walk to me so badly... but he couldn't.
I had to pick him up and place him in the mulch to go to the bathroom. He could barely squat his little legs were shaking so much.

So I called the vet. They cannot get him in until 2:00. I am not sure why they don't think this is as important as I do. Clearly this is a medical emergency and they should clear their schedule for him. Duh.
I went to work and asked for an afternoon substitute through my tears. They decided I should probably just take the whole day.

It's a good thing I was there and the sub was running late because first thing in the morning we had a fire drill (And they are having a tornado drill this afternoon at 2). It took me about an hour to type up my plans and the children in my class were little angels and told me they were very sorry about my dog.

Now I am sitting at home, forcing him to snuggle with me just preparing for the worst case scenario.
I don't know what I am going to do without Gaby. I got him when he was a little puppy when I was in 5th grade. He is 15 years old now. That means I have had Gaby living with me for 3/5 of my life (that is way more than half). He has been with me through so much and has always given me his unconditional love. When I am sad he knows and comes to crawl into my lap. He sleeps with me at night, and snuggles during the day. {sniffle}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious puppy. I went trough something very similar with my dog a couple of years ago. For people who truly love their animals, they become like family members so I understand what you are going through. Gaby has had a wonderful long life and is so lucky to have had a mommy like you to take care of him that whole time. Take care.