Thursday, December 23, 2010

Carving pumpkins

This past October I decided to carve the *funkins I have around the house. Well... I decided to finally carve one of them. Then I got tired.
*a funkin is a fake pumpkin from the craft store that you can carve once and then bring out year after year for Halloween.

I am not sure how big I am into Halloween anymore since beginning to read my Bible and really thinking about holiday celebrations I want to do with my future kids. Of course, I was the QUEEN of dress up growing up and any day that celebrates dressing up in a costume is a good day for me. So I think as long as we just focus on that, I may let it slide. Also, candy is delicious. I just am really not sure what the purpose of Halloween is anyway.

Wikipedia says:
Christian attitudes towards Halloween are diverse. In the Anglican Church, some dioceses have chosen to emphasize the Christian traditions of All Saints’ Day,[44][45] while some other Protestants celebrate the holiday as Reformation Day, a day to remember the Protestant Reformation.[46][47] Father Gabriele Amorth, a Vatican-appointed exorcist in Rome, has said, "if English and American children like to dress up as witches and devils on one night of the year that is not a problem. If it is just a game, there is no harm in that."[48] In more recent years, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston has organized a "Saint Fest" on the holiday.[49] Similarly, many contemporary Protestant churches view Halloween as a fun event for children, holding events in their churches where children and their parents can dress up, play games, and get candy.
Many Christians ascribe no negative significance to Halloween, treating it as a purely secular holiday devoted to celebrating "imaginary spooks" and handing out candy. To these Christians, Halloween holds no threat to the spiritual lives of children: being taught about death and mortality, and the ways of the Celtic ancestors actually being a valuable life lesson and a part of many of their parishioners' heritage.[50] In the Roman Catholic Church Halloween is viewed as having a Christian connection,[51] and Halloween celebrations are common in Catholic parochial schools throughout North America and in Ireland.
Some Christians feel concerned about Halloween, and reject the holiday because they feel it trivializes – or celebrates – paganism, the occult, or other practices and cultural phenomena deemed incompatible with their beliefs.[52] A response among some fundamentalist and conservative evangelical churches in recent years has been the use of 'Hell houses', themed pamphlets, or comic-style tracts such as those created by Jack T. Chick in order to make use of Halloween's popularity as an opportunity for evangelism.[49] Some consider Halloween to be completely incompatible with the Christian faith[53] believing it to have originated as a pagan "Festival of the Dead".
I don't think I am concerned that one holiday will ruin the spiritual development of my future children because if one secular holiday changes their beliefs then I haven't done a very good job raising them in a Christian home. I think I am going to use Halloween more as a fun day to dress up and get candy. Which is all children view it as anyway. 

Now that I have really viered off topic here are the photos of the funkin I carved. Not lit, hard to see:
Lit:
and with the puppies and sparky not lit (I think they are napping):

No comments: